3.04.2007

1395 days...

It looks like Serbia got away with the genocide in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It's been a week since Hague's International Court of Justice (what an oxymoron, huh?!) ruled that Serbian government is not to blame for what happened in Bosnia in the early to mid '90s, and the only thing they are guilty of is not stopping what was going on. Yes, shame on them!
"Republika Srpska" (Serbian entity within Bosnia) is to blame, they are the ones that organized the aggression and committed the crimes, yet they didn't officially exist until the Dayton Peace Treaty, in November 1995... and the war started in April 1992.
Let me try to wrap my brain around this: Serbia didn't do it. Serbian Republic wasn't around to do it. Uhmmm... so if A=B and B=C then A=C??? Ooooh... so we DID do it to ourselves?!

MY FIRST REACTION: [facebook entry]1:44am Tuesday, Feb 27

I feel terribly sad and disappointed that, once again,
the good didn't win over the evil...
We didn't plan it. We didn't ask for it. We didn't "imagine" these things happening to us and we sure didn't do this to ourselves! Our population literally got halved within three years (mortality+emigration)... and after all this suffering we needed some kind of closure. I needed some kind of closure, and for everyone to stop calling what happened a freakin' civil war.
There was nothing civil about it. GENOCIDE!
Sarajevo was under
siege. The longest siege in the history of human kind and 1395 longest days of my life.
1395 days I was hungry.
1395 days I was cold.
1395 days I was scared.
1395 sunsets and sunrises that I thought might be my last.
1395 times a sniper shot at me and missed.
1395 kids that weren't so lucky...
And today... today I got nothing to feel better about!

... but, I was there, I lived it, I KNOW THE TRUTH and I will never forget!

2 comments:

zdenka pregelj said...

Thanks for your comment. Alas, the war, any war anywhere is very sad thing. I spent all my life in Sarajevo, beautiful town, with very sad history! All the best!

Unknown said...

vedrana, u gresci si! i njami ce ti to potvrditi.:P